Jobs at the Book Festival
Citizen Schools Writer in Residence
We are seeking to appoint a writer to lead the schools residency component of our ongoing creative programme, Citizen.
Citizen aims to explore the diversity of stories and voices in Edinburgh and its surrounds. Candidates should have experience of working within school settings, relish working with people from varied backgrounds, and be able to work in a creative and responsive ways to new ideas.
At the Book Festival, 'writer' encapsulates a diverse range of creative literary outputs: novelist, poet, non-fiction writer, illustrator, comic creator, spoken word artist etc, and producing work for all ages of audiences and readers — applications from any field are welcome, and applicants from diverse backgrounds are very much encouraged.
January 2020 until September 2020 in first instance, when the post will be reviewed.
Equivalent of 2 days per week (14 hours) during school term time.
£6,000 plus expenses, inclusive of prep and writing time.
Please read the Role Description and How to Apply documents and submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- 2 examples of your creative writing /or 2 examples of recent projects or productions.
- Cover letter outlining how you meet the person specification and including a 250 word proposal on how you would approach the brief.
Closing date for applications: 5pm, Friday 8 November
Interviews will be held week commencing: Monday 11 November
Information about temporary Festival staff recruitment
We employ over one hundred dedicated and enthusiastic temporary staff each year including short-term staff during August and longer term staff from April/May to September. We expect hard work, commitment, an interest in the arts and a positive, enthusiastic attitude. In return you get a fantastic learning experience that is loads of fun and the opportunity to make valuable contacts. Additional perks include discounted books and access to some of the world's greatest author events. Because of the huge number of applications we receive, and the relative shortness of the contracts, relevant experience is a must.
Please be aware that:
- We are unable to contribute to accommodation, living and travel expenses.
- We do not appoint without interview.
- All candidates will be asked to show evidence of their eligibility to work in the UK if selected for interview.
- We do not accept speculative applications for positions which are not listed on this page.
- We do not offer work experience, internships or volunteering opportunities.