Children and Families
Baillie Gifford Children's Programme
There's always loads to do and see in the Baillie Gifford Children's Programme. Younger kids can catch up with the playground's latest book buzz while hot debates and exciting graphic novel events are designed to engage teenagers.
We programme hundreds of events each year for children from tots to teens, including interactive events and workshops with authors and illustrators, fun performances and fascinating debates. This year, you can expect everything from drawing, colouring and crafting, to storytelling, poetry, music and dancing, and even yoga and hula hooping!
There are also lots of free things to do, such as daily drop-in craft activities, and free storytelling and singing sessions. Other free one-off events this year include Willow Weaving, the Big Tiger Tea Party, Doctor Book, and a Teddy Bear Sleepover.
Entry to the Book Festival tented village itself is also free. It’s an ideal space for families to be together, so why not come and spend the day, have some fun, and create shared memories. Here are a few of the things you could do:
- See your favourite author, illustrator or character live on stage.
- Meet an author, ask them questions and get your book signed.
- Start the day with a magical half hour of storytelling, poetry, songs or rhymes (free but advance booking required).
- Draw, create or play at our free drop-in activities in the Baillie Gifford Story Box.
- Browse the bookshop. There are cosy areas for you to share books and stories with your young ones.
- Have a treat from one of our cafes or from the ice cream trike.
- Sit on the grass and enjoy the sunshine! You are welcome to bring your own picnic.
There's plenty on offer at the Book Festival to create a memorable day for families and young people.